Major Events Planner
Major Events Planner – LeadingAge New Jersey & Delaware is hiring a Major Events Planner
In consultation with the President & CEO, Vice President, and Membership & Events Associate, the Major Events Planner position will take the lead on planning, executing and staffing LeadingAge New Jersey & Delaware’s (LANJDE) major events throughout the year. The successful candidate must be a highly organized self-starter with strong Microsoft Office skills and attention to detail. This individual should have a minimum of 2 – 3 years’ experience, be personable and professional in their communications both via phone and in writing. This is a part-time position (must be available 20 hours/week) with a hybrid schedule to start. The ideal candidate would be available Monday – Friday from 10:30 am – 2:30 pm, but flexible scheduling is available. Reliable transportation is required for occasional travel throughout New Jersey and Delaware (e.g. to conduct site visits, meet with vendors, staff events, etc.).
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by the employee within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of the employee assigned to the job. The employee may be asked to perform other duties as required.
1. Leads the production and execution of the LANJDE’s major events throughout the calendar year, including the Annual Conference & Expo, Awards Program, Golf Classic, State Night, Town Hall and other special events as needed. Tasks will include but are not limited to managing the logistics (including identifying meeting space, contract negotiations, food and beverage selection, audio-visual arrangements, decorations, sponsor signage and other services as needed) surrounding these major events.
2. Creates and manages a comprehensive planning timeline for all the association’s events with the goal of identifying key deadlines, evenly distributing the event planning workload for a small staff throughout the calendar year and avoiding other industry event conflicts.
3. In conjunction with the Membership & Events Associate, supports the preparation of major events registration forms, lists and name badges, marketing materials, social media content, website updates, meeting evaluations, and all other meeting and events-related materials.
4. Leads exhibitor and sponsor solicitation, support and exposure for all major events to maximize their return on investment, value for our members and revenue for the association.
5. Serves as the main point of contact for speakers as well as LANJDE’s Education Committee on the Annual Conference. In consultation with the Committee, manages the call for proposals process, takes the lead on identifying and booking keynote speakers, planning a networking reception and town hall, and serving as the liaison with the host hotel/conference staff.
6. Prepares documentation and submits for continuing education credits associated with LANJDE events.
7. Manages the Awards nomination process, collects and organizes submissions, notifies awardees and plans a program to honor these individuals at LANJDE’s annual breakfast.
8. Coordinates a networking State Night Out event for LANJDE members at LeadingAge’s national conference (location rotates throughout the country)
9. Serves as the LANJDE representative on the LeadingAge Professional Development Network which hosts weekly conference calls focused on event planning and membership. Reports back to LANJDE staff at our weekly staff meeting.
10. During time in the office, takes the lead on administrative duties, e.g., opening the mail, receiving deliveries, preparing remote check deposits, ordering office supplies, and clerical assistance to senior leadership, including travel arrangements, expense reports, etc.
11. Organizes LANJDE’s marketing presence at outside industry meetings, events and conferences when needed.
12. Supports other association membership, marketing, communications, education, administrative and other projects and duties as needed.
The Major Events Planner position requires strong Microsoft Office skills, particularly Excel; also, very good phone and interpersonal communication skills. Work will primarily be driven by email and phone interaction.
• 2 – 3+ years of experience in non-profit membership association or for-profit customer service role.
• Experience with event planning, conference production, promotion and execution.
• Excellent writing, proofreading, and verbal skills; professional interpersonal skills.
• Well organized, team-oriented, attention to detail, with positive and results-oriented work ethic.
• Must be able to manage several projects simultaneously.
• Exceptional Microsoft Office skills with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook as well as Zoom. Association Management Systems software (MemberClicks) a plus as well as knowledge of desktop publishing/Publisher/Canva/InDesign or similar program knowledge is a plus.
• College degree preferred or related work experience
Sedentary: Requires sitting for 4 hours with lifting a maximum of up to 10 pounds occasionally (0-160 minutes). Limited standing or walking may be occasionally required.
Part Time Schedule
December 1, 2021
November 26, 2021
4-Year Degree Required