If you are interested in presenting to our membership, please contact the LeadingAge New Jersey office.
Date: April 4, 2023
Time: 9:30 am – 4:00 pm
Location: Harriett Bryan Home 310 Elm Road, Princeton NJ
This training focuses on basic Fair Housing laws and regulations applicable to all government assisted housing programs.
Together, we will explore the fundamentals of Fair Housing including: the Fair Housing Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and appropriate Civil Rights statutes. Then, we will take a deep dive into processes, best practices, complaints and resolutions, and reasonable accommodation requests, and how to process them. We will also review and discuss the impacts of the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), the newest protected classes, Limited English Proficiency (LEP), and other federal provisions, as well as how to avoid and/or address Fair Housing violations, voluntary compliance agreements, and special conditions that may be required by HUD or DOJ.
Fair Housing impacts every aspect of housing operations and general knowledge of the rules, regulations, key principles and processes are necessary to be compliant and effective in service coordination, property management, facility maintenance, and in working with residents. This training will be followed by a brief Q&A session.
After completing this training, participants will be able to:
· Understand Fair Housing laws and regulations that affect affordable housing programs
· Create and maintain processes, policies, and procedures to ensure compliance
· Identify and eliminate barriers to promote Fair Housing within the ever-changing regulatory environment
· Anticipate and avoid complaints and compliance issue
Who Should Attend?
Those new or experienced in housing who require a high-level overview, reminder, or an update of the major Fair Housing rules, regs, policies, procedures and more including:
· Executive Directors
· Managers of Government Assisted Housing Programs
· Property Managers, Facility Maintenance Managers & Staff, Leasing or Occupancy Specialists, and Service Coordinators
· Specialists of both Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher program
· Other interested or new frontline staff
Richard E. Wankel, Esq.