Summer Enrichment Program
Summer Enrichment Program – Member/Host Site Guide
The Summer Enrichment Program (SEP) is an internship program in the field of aging designed to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion. The Summer Enrichment Program is supported by LeadingAge and its members.
What is the Summer Enrichment Program?
The Summer Enrichment Program is a 10-week immersive internship hosted at your aging services organization. The Summer Enrichment program encourages a diverse pool of students who are enrolled in undergraduate or graduate programs across the country to obtain real world experience in aging services.
Participation in the Summer Enrichment Program sends an important message that your organization and community is committed to growing a pipeline of diverse leaders for the field of aging. At the same time, it gives students, from all backgrounds, exposure to the rewarding field of aging services. The Summer Enrichment Program will shape future leaders by exposing future talent to the field of aging and helping to develop and mentor a diverse workforce bound for leadership roles.
How will LeadingAge Support the Summer Enrichment Program?
LeadingAge will commit to providing tools, professional development, and marketing. This will include:
- Providing a Host Site tool kit including job description, curriculum, and education to assist with the design and implementation of an internship program.
- Assisting with student intern recruitment through:
- Complimentary internship postings on the LeadingAge Career Center.
- Promoting the internship postings to student members, students, and universities across the country.
- Pairing each intern with a mentor from within LeadingAge membership
- Providing orientation and training for mentors and preceptors prior to the commencement of the internship.
- Offering professional development, networking and training events for interns throughout the 10 week internship
- Providing complimentary student registrations for all SEP interns for the 2022 LeadingAge Annual Meeting.
What is the timeline?
Sign-up to host interns in the Summer of 2022. During the 10-week cohort based program, undergraduate and graduate students are exposed to aging services, develop professional skills and advance toward leadership positions in LeadingAge member organizations. Deadline to commit to hosting an intern is October 1, 2021. Learn more on the LeadingAge Member/Host Site webpage.
Summer/Fall 2021: Commit to participating in the Summer Enrichment Program
- October 1, 2021 – Deadline to commitment form
- October 15, 2021 – Deadline to post internship on LeadingAge Career Center – Internship Page
Winter 2022: Interview and select students
Spring 2022: Participate in LeadingAge Summer Enrichment Program orientation
Summer 2022: Launch first Summer Enrichment Program
- May – Preceptor, Mentor and Intern – LeadingAge Virtual Orientation
- June – Students begin the internship
- June & July – LeadingAge Student Virtual Networking and Professional Development Events
- June & July – LeadingAge Preceptor Virtual Networking and Professional Development Events
- August – Virtual celebratory event
What is the cost?
The cost of hosting undergraduate or graduate students may be different for each organization. We ask that each organization financially support the summer intern to ensure all students can afford to participate in this experience. Compensation must include an hourly pay or stipend (approximately $15.00 per hour/$600 a week). It may also include, if applicable:
- Housing (strongly encouraged if available on provider campus)
- Food allowance (or meals if available on provider campus)
- Parking permit (if applicable).
How are Summer Enrichment Program interns selected and where do they come from?
- LeadingAge will promote the Summer Enrichment Program internship opportunities to LeadingAge student members, students and universities across the country.
- The SEP Host Site is responsible for posting the position, interviewing and selecting their respective interns.
- The SEP Host Site must post their internship to the LeadingAge Career Center (LeadingAge will provide complimentary access to the LeadingAge Career Center and the LeadingAge Student Career Fair to participating members).
- LeadingAge strongly recommends each host site posts their internship to Handshake.com.
- The Summer Enrichment Program will be promoted to students and universities across the country.
How do we learn more?
How does my organization sign-up to participate?
- Review the 2022 Host Site Commitment and Expectations
- Complete the Host Site Application and Commitment Form
Who do I contact with questions?
Contact Christy Kramer, Vice President of Student Engagement and Workforce Partnerships – firstname.lastname@example.org