Recreation Director – Westfield Senior Housing
***LeadingAge NJ & DE is posting this on behalf of Westfield Senior Housing***
Recreation Director – Non-exempt
Plan and coordinate comprehensive and diverse programs and activities to provide life-enriching opportunities for residents and the community. Strengthen community involvement through promotion of volunteerism among residents and members of the community. Reports to Executive Director.
- Plan and implement activities in the following categories: physical (exercise), social, recreational, intellectual/educational, creative, entertainment, , service/volunteering and special requests of the residents.
- Facilitate socialization among residents.
- Invite and/or remind residents to participate in planned activities.
- Promote activities in a way that piques residents’ interest.
- Conduct/Lead activities as needed.
- Plan, coordinate and help implement decoration of the facility for special events, seasons and holidays.
- Identify and requisition needed supplies for planned activities.
- Coordinate with the kitchen staff use of kitchen
- Assist with planning and implementing marketing events that promote the facility to potential resident/community.
- Develop a monthly newsletter, solicit resident involvement.
- Coordinate schedule for the company vehicle with Westfield 1/2.
- Maintain a schedule for use of the common areas.
- Arrange transportation for activity outings and regularly scheduled group trips.
- Recruit resident volunteers to meet the needs of the facility and other organizations in the community.
- Train and supervise volunteers.
- Establish and carry out a resident volunteer recognition program.
- Maintain and update closed circuit TV system.
- Contact/meet with new tenants within 2 weeks of move-in to review recreational interests.
- Maintain statistics of program attendance and develop reports on program effectiveness.
- Develop a resource manual to include event information, i.e. speakers, flyers, contact info etc.
- Prepare monthly expenditure report.
- Schedule annual mandatory safety meetings, one for police and one for fire.
- Attend staff meetings as required.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by supervisor to ensure smooth operation of the program and to meet residents’ needs.
- Report any on-the-job injuries to the supervisor before the end of the work shift on the day the injury occurs.
- Establish and maintain constructive working relationships with coworkers, residents, families and visitors.
- Maintain confidentiality of verbal and written information pertaining to residents, facility operations and personnel.
- No smoking in the building or while operating any and all equipment.
- Promote Westfield Senior Citizens Housing Corporation in a positive way.
- Promote teamwork in providing services to residents.
- Fire and safety procedures
- CPR/AED certification
- Food-handling regulations
- Operation of office equipment (FAX machine, photocopier)
- Heated/Air-conditioned, well-lit facility with minimal barriers
- Some weekend/evening work as assigned
- Working hours 9:00 am – 5:00 pm with 1 hour for lunch
- Associate degree in recreational therapy or similar degree preferred
- Experience in activity planning with older adults preferred
- Experience and interest in working with older adults
- Experience in volunteering
- Evidence of creativity
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- Mature, pleasant, friendly and cheerful personality
- Residents always come first, and their needs will be met unless there is a conflict with the needs of others or the organization as a whole.
- Employees will not work under the influence of mood-altering or illegal drugs or alcohol.
- Neat appearance, adherence to the dress code and good personal hygiene are expected.
For more information or to apply, reach out to Danielle Porrata (email@example.com)
Westfield Senior Citizens Housing Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.