Visit this page regularly for current information, tools, and resources to help LeadingAge New Jersey & Delaware members plan for and respond to COVID-19. We are working to monitor the situation closely.
In collaboration with peer organizations and federal agencies, we will ensure that the health of the older adult population is a top priority during this time.
LeadingAge Member Communications
LeadingAge is sharing the very latest with members twice daily. Morning updates go out via email, and they’re hosting daily live online updates each weekday afternoon. Subscribe to “LeadingAge Need to Know” via communications preferences in your MyLeadingAge account to receive email updates. Register for live online updates 5 days/week at 3:30 p.m. ET. You can find a list of upcoming guests and an archive of all member updates here.
Members can hear from one another and share best practices by joining the COVID-19 Group in the MyLeadingAge Member Community.
New Insights from LeadingAge
Following is the latest analysis from LeadingAge experts. A complete timeline of insights, tools and useful links is available here.
- Nursing Homes and COVID-19 Crisis Front and Center on Senate Floor
- Senate Democratic Leadership Issues Report on the Administration’s Response to COVID-19
- CMS Announces Changes to 5-Star Rating System; End of Staffing Submission Waiver
- HHS Clarifies Provider Relief Medicaid Distribution Application Items
- GAO: 29% Older Adult Renters Severely Cost Burdened
- One Provider’s View: Lessons Learned from the Pandemic
- New PPP Rules Provides Updates on Loan Forgiveness Processes
- Life Safety Experts On 1135 Waivers Compliance for Nursing Homes
- CMS Issues Visitation FAQs for Nursing Home Providers
- HUD and FCC to Co-Host Webinar on Lifeline Program
Latest Tools & Resources:
Following are the latest tools and resources for members. A complete timeline of insights, tools and useful links is available here.
- Diagnostic Testing Support for Affordable Housing Communities
- Staff Vacations and Travel Considerations During COVID-19
- CDBG as Resource for Senior Housing COVID-19 Costs
- Quickcast: Reopening Considerations for Affordable Housing Providers
- Senior Housing Weekly: Recap of LeadingAge Updates
- NHSN Reporting Issues Cheat Sheet
Latest Advocacy From LeadingAge:
Following is the latest advocacy from LeadingAge. A complete timeline of advocacy is available here.
- $1.2B Senior Housing Relief Bill Introduced in Senate
- LeadingAge and VNAA/ElevatingHOME Letter to Secretary Alex Azar on Public Health Emergency
- Letter to the President and VP: Don’t Forget About Older Americans
- LeadingAge and VNAA/ElevatingHOME Letter to Congress on COVID-19 Relief Package REVISED
- Letter to Vice President Pence: Investigate FEMA Failure
- LeadingAge and VNAA/ElevatingHOME Hospice Comment Letter to CMS
- LeadingAge Letter to HUD Urging Release of CARES Act Senior Housing Funding
- LeadingAge and VNAA/ElevatingHOME Comments on CMS First Interim Final Rule
- LeadingAge and VNAA/ElevatingHOME Statement for the Record: Senate Special Committee on Aging
- LeadingAge and VNAA/ElevatingHOME Letter to Congress on COVID-19 Testing Needs
- Letter sent to VP Pence: Focus on Providing PPE, Not Photo Ops
Member Ideas and Inspiration:
- Communicating with Residents: How are members helping residents/clients connect with families and friends?
- Workforce Challenges: How are members working to make employees’ jobs—and personal challenges—easier?
- Managing Meals: How are members adapting to social distancing with meal delivery?
- Helping Employees Meet Childcare Needs
- Resident Engagement During Social Isolation
- Upgraded Resident/Family Portal Keeps Everyone Informed
- Expanded Telehealth Options Connect Residents and Clients With Health Professionals
- Staff and Residents Adopt All-Hands-On-Deck Approach
- New App Helps Build Resident, Family Engagement
Look for more Member Ideas & Inspiration in coming days and weeks.
From LeadingAge Centers
The LeadingAge LTSS Center @UMass Boston is sharing research studies and research-based articles focusing on how the coronavirus pandemic is affecting older adults and the people who care for them. Check out brief summaries of the latest data and analysis, including:
- Why Germany’s Coronavirus Death Rate Is So Low
- What Actually Happened in King County, Washington?
- Training Direct Care Workers in COVID-19 Protocols
- Leading a Nursing Home in New York City
- Post-Acute Care: Preparing for COVID-19
- Research on Protecting Workers from COVID-19
- Protecting Home Care Aides During the Pandemic
- Fighting COVID-19 Requires a Strong Workforce
Communications and Media Tools
Members across the country tell LeadingAge again and again how critical communication is during this crisis. These tools can help. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, members are likely to have news to share with your community and may even be receiving a surge of media interest. Here’s how LeadingAge is Driving the Coronavirus Conversation and how they’re Responding to Negative Views on Aging Services During the Pandemic. They’re also creating resources to help make it easier for you to communicate with clients, residents, family members, staff, and the media.
- Planning for a COVID-19 Outbreak in Your Community: Crisis Media Plan
- Talking Points: Responding to Negative Views on Aging Services in Pandemic (NEW)
- Sample Coronavirus Media Talking Points
- Crisis Communications Webinar
COMMUNICATION ABOUT TESTING FOR COVID-19
COMMUNICATION ABOUT POSITIVE CASES OF COVID-19
- Press Release
- Letter to Residents and Families
- Letter to Residents and Families – Positive Diagnosis in Staff
- Letter for Essential Workers
COMMUNICATIONS ABOUT COVID-19 LOSSES
Connecting Your Questions and Stories to Capitol Hill
LeadingAge encourages you to continue sending your questions to their policy staff and to contact your members of Congress to tell your story. We are happy to help you connect with their offices as needed.
STATEMENTS & PRESS RELEASES
LeadingAge is proactive when it comes to shaping views and understanding of our members and the field. Following are statements and releases they’re developed and distributed around the coronavirus.
- Statement From LeadingAge: U.S. Policymaker Failure has Deadly Consequences
- LeadingAge’s Five Essential Actions News Conference Remarks Of Katie Smith Sloan
- As Reopenings Boost Threat of COVID-19, Nonprofit Aging Services Leaders Say Policymakers Must Deliver PPE, Testing & Other Resources to Protect A Generation
- LeadingAge’s 5 Essential Actions To Protect Older Americans
- Statement From LeadingAge Regarding News Reports Of White House Coronavirus Task Force Wind-Down
- LeadingAge CEO Katie Smith Sloan Reaction To President Trump’s Statement On Nursing Homes During Tonight’s Town Hall
- LeadingAge CEO Katie Smith Sloan Reaction To Pelosi, Mcconnnell Joint Statement Regarding COVID-19 Testing On Capitol Hill Today 05/2/20
QUESTIONS? Ask LeadingAge National
There are many ways to get help during this crisis. Staff at LeadingAge’s national office are always here for you. Contact their team directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are at a critical time in which community containment measures may be increasingly difficult to implement and enforce. Now is the time to prepare your employees, operations and family.